Modern Art History
Modern Art History
Question 3 Discussion Essay
Unit 1: Question 3 Discussion Essays and Responses
After reading the Instructions below, click on the link above. After following this link, please click on the button entitled CREATE THREAD and post your essay. Don’t forget to respond to at least 1 of your classmates’ essays.
Question 3 Discussion Essay Instructions
Please DO NOT attach your essay in a document — cut and paste it directly into the thread. Since I require only 6 Essays and 6 Responses for the entire course – I expect that you devote significant time and effort towards completing them. (Minimum 150 words for the essay; Minimum 50 words for the response)
Robert Colescott’s work has been both criticized and praised because he deals with issues of race and gender. He often points out contemporary American problems by re-creating famous works of Western Art. Click on the following websites to read about the art of Robert Colescott:
Then select one of his paintings to discuss:
Eat Dem Taters
George Washington Carver Crossing the Delaware: Page from an American History Textbook
From the information presented in my Lectures, the textbook and the above websites, answer the following questions: What contemporary issues is Colescott addressing in this work? What message do you think he is trying to communicate? How does he communicate this message? Why do you think he re-creates older masterpieces from the Western Art Historical cannon? Be sure to talk about issues such as: race, gender, class, American history, colors used, how the figures are depicted, and other elements of Colescott’s style.
Post your answer to the Discussion Board – Question 3 Discussion Essays and Responses. (Minimum 150 words) (20 points)
2) Respond to at least one other classmates’ response. Do you agree or disagree with their assessment? Why or why not? Post your response to the Discussion Board – Question 3 Discussion Essays and Responses. (Minimum 50 words) (5 points
Grading Criteria: You will be given points based on how thoroughly you answered the question. I will give you points for the following:
1) Providing specific examples of artworks that support your answer.
2) Providing specific reasons for why you agree or disagree with the question. These reasons should be supported by material from the textbook, lectures or the above websites.
3) Providing specific reasons for why you agree or disagree with your classmates’ responses. You will not be awarded any points if you just say “yes, I agree””nodisagree.” These reasons should be supported by material from the textbook, lectures or the above websites. You need to respond to at least 1 other student to receive full credit.
4) Writing the minimum required number of words does not guarantee full credit. You must write a substantial answer that goes beyond the minimum to receive full credit.