Matching Theory to Population at Risk
Choose a population-at-risk for the subject of this paper. Then, you need to provide a thorough description of the target population. The following is suggested for the description (NOT REQUIRED):
- What is the historical relationship of this population to the local community?
- Has the population experienced conflict with the community’s majority culture?
- Has the population experienced oppression/discrimination in the local community?
- What approaches has the population historically taken to address oppression?
- What kinds of resources exist to meet the particular needs of this population? (e.g. social services, entertainment, education & training, etc.)
- At what levels and in what numbers do members of this population participate in local government? What are the barriers to participation?
- What are the ways in which members of this population practice religion or express spirituality? Are there local barriers of any kind?
- What is the economic and social status of most members of this population?
- Are most members of this population isolated from community life? How is the isolation perpetuated?
Then, write an 8-10 pages paper with the following discussions:
- Comprehensively identify and discuss relevant individual theories to the population
- Comprehensively identify and discuss relevant family theories to the population
- Comprehensively identify and discuss relevant group and/or organizational theories that influence the population
- Comprehensively identify and discuss relevant diversity theories, or discrimination theories, or oppression theories, or social justice perspectives associated with the population
- Provide an analysis utilizing social systems theory which shows the linkages between the theories you presented in the prior 5 sections of this paper and the impact on social work practice