Individuals and communities reduce their carbon footprint to mitigate the effects of global warming
How can individuals and communities reduce their carbon footprint to mitigate the effects of global warming?
Reducing energy consumption
One of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint is to reduce your energy consumption. This can be done by making simple changes to your lifestyle, such as:
- Turning off lights and appliances when you’re not using them
- Unplugging electronics when they’re not in use
- Using energy-efficient light bulbs
- Weatherizing your home to reduce heat loss and gain
- Installing energy-efficient appliances
Switching to renewable energy
Another way to reduce your carbon footprint is to switch to renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power. If you can’t install your own renewable energy system, you may be able to purchase renewable energy credits from your utility company.