Select a health care setting and organization on which you will focus for your sustainability initiative (e.g., local hospital, veterans’ hospital,
ambulance service, urgent care, nursing home).
Consider the setting and organization you have selected and break it down to the main departments, employee roles, operating activities, and so
on. While doing so, brainstorm opportunities to reduce costs or eliminate waste while improving patient care or outcomes.
Review the list of sustainable initiatives from the list below, and select one that you want to promote for your selected organization:
• Energy efficiency
• IR scanning
• Kanban Inventory
• Device exchange
• CR pack reformation
• Device reprocessing
• Red bag waste reduction
• Blue wrap recycling
Note: Ensure that the opportunity you select correlates with the setting you select. Additionally, if you want to complete a sustainable initiative that
is not on the list, obtain approval from your instructor before completing the assignment.
Part I: Initiative Proposal
Write a 350- to 525-word summary of the sustainability initiative you want to promote at the health care setting you selected. Your proposal
• Create a clear vision or mission statement that defines the scope of the initiative and would generate buy-in.
• Define what outcomes you expect to achieve over time.
• Be specific with what you can realistically deliver.
MHACB/560 Competency 1 Rubric
Page 2 of 4
Copyright 2022 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.
Part II: Matrix analysis
Management has requested that you prepare a matrix analysis of both environmental and financial contexts for your proposed sustainability
Organize and include the following in your matrix:
• Estimated current costs involved in your sustainability initiative’s processes (e.g., staffing, facility, operating, products, services)
• Estimated cost to implement initiatives (e.g., new equipment, new contracts, or staff)
• Cost projections after implementation
• Social and environmental costs
• Cost savings, immediate or over time
• Benefits over time (1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc.)
• Local, state, or national revenue sources for your initiative
Part III: Matrix summary analysis
Prepare a 700-word summary of your matrix analysis. Include the following in your summary:
• Restate your individual sustainability initiative.
• Relate how your initiative might impact other sustainability initiatives within your organization.
• Describe various environmental contexts that could impact your sustainability initiative.
• Analyze and summarize the financial contexts and implications your sustainability initiative will have on your selected organization.
• Explain the cost savings and benefits over time.
• Recommend a local, state, or national revenue sources for your initiative and why you believe the source is appropriate.